Things quieten down considerably this week after the hectic launch of the winter schedules. Here are this week’s highlights.
- Air Asia launches a new thrice-weekly service from Kuching (KCH) to Macau (MFM). This becomes Air Asia’s fifth route to Macau and eighth route from Kuching.
- Allegiant Air starts operating another nine routes this week. The airline is now serving Fort Lauderdale (FLL) from a further six airports: Allentown (ABE), Greensboro (GSO), Knoxville (TYS), Greenville/Spartanburg (GSP), Plattsburgh (PLB) and Huntingdon (HTS). At the same time Mesa (MSC) in Arizona is now connected with Fargo-Moorhead (FAR), Billings (BIL) and Rockford (RFD).
- UK turboprop operator Eastern Airways launches its first route to France when it begins connecting Southampton (SOU) to Angers (ANE) three-times weekly with a Jetstream 41. Angers is in the Loire valley, home to all those lovely chateaux.
- US regional ExpressJet launches a bunch of new daily routes on the US west coast this week. Santa Barbara (SBA) gets double-daily service to both San Diego (SAN) and Sacramento (SMF) while Long Beach (LGB) gets twice-daily connections to Fresno (FAT), Monterrey (MRY) and Reno (RNO). Reno also gets new daily services to Ontario (ONT), Spokane (GEG) and Tucson (TUS).
- Florida is a popular destination for Americans at this time of year and Frontier is launching two new direct services to the state. Denver (DEN) will be linked daily with West Palm Beach (PBI) and Memphis (MEM) will get a daily connection to Fort Lauderdale (FLL).
- Hong Kong Express launches two new routes this week from Hong Kong (HKG) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) and Jakarta (CGK). Both routes will operate daily using 737-800s and will be highly competitive. On Kuala Lumpur there will be competition from Cathay Pacific, China Airlines and Malaysia Airlines. On flights to Jakarta alternatives are provided by Cathay Pacific, China Airlines and Garuda.
- Interjet crosses the Mexican border for its first international flights this week with daily services to Guatemala City (GUA) from both Toluca (TLC) and Cancun (CUN).
- JetBlue adds two more direct routes to Orlando (MCO) this week with the start of services from Buffalo (BUF) and Rochester (ROC). This brings to 13 the number of direct routes from Orlando and becomes JetBlue’s first service from Buffalo to Florida. It also provides Rochester with only its second non-stop JetBlue service, following New York JFK.
- Ryanair launches five more routes from its new Alicante (ALC) base this week. Daily services to Brussels Charleroi (CRL) are complemented by less than weekly flights to Basel (BSL), Doncaster/Sheffield (DSA), Karlsruhe/Baden (FKB) and Maastricht (MST).