Route of the week:
|Wizz Air inaugurated the first ever low cost flight in the Ukraine from Kiev Borispol Airport to Simferopol. The Minister of Transportation, Yosip Vinsky attended the opening.|
- Wizz Air started its great Ukrainian adventure this week. With a single A320, it began domestic flights between Kiev (KBP) and Lviv (LWO), Odessa (ODS) and Simferopol (SIM), as well as flights between Simferopol (SIM) and Lviv (LWO). As previously reported in our Ukraine country feature this one aircraft will add 20% to domestic capacity in the country as the 180-seat aircraft will operate eight sectors per day. Wizz Air has also started a new twice-weekly service from Warsaw (WAW) to Cork (ORK). There are already Polish services from Cork Airport to both Gdansk and Katowice operated by Wizz Air. Centralwings used to operate to Krakow but the route was axed this summer as part of the airline’s major revamp of its network.
Cake of the week:
Air One’s Milan Malpensa to Lamezia Terme
- Looking to capitalise on gaps left by Alitalia’s retreat, Air One has started a new domestic route from Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Lamezia Terme (SUF). An A320 will operate daily flights. The airline will go head-to-head with Volareweb who also operate daily on the route with an A320. Previously announced plans to serve Bari (BRI) on a daily basis from MXP appear to have been shelved. The airline would have been competing against both Alitalia (12 weekly flights) and easyJet (14 weekly flights) for this route.
- Flybe has added a new direct service between Guernsey (GCI) and Paris CDG (CDG). Flights will operate four times weekly on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday using a Q400. As a result, Blue Islands will end its Guernsey to Paris Beauvais service, which has been operating four times weekly with a Jetstream. In 2007, Guernsey handled some 887,000 passengers while Jersey handled 1.55 million passengers. Both airports witnessed small increases in traffic last year after two years of falling passenger numbers.
- SkyWest Delta Connections began two new services this week between Salt Lake City (SLC) and the state of Wyoming. Gillette (GCC) and Rock Springs (RKS) will be served twice daily, using 30-seat Embraer EMB 120 Brasilia aircraft, which will night-stop at both destinations. Gillette is about a two hour flight from SLC while Rock Springs is just an hour. Turnround times are scheduled for just 20 minutes. Both airports currently offer scheduled service to Denver.
- United Express is launching a new twice daily service between San Francisco (SFO) and Southwest Oregon Regional Airport (OTH) in North Bend, Oregon. Flights will be operated by SkyWest Airlines using 30-seat Embraer EMB 120 Brasilias. North Bend’s only existing commercial service is operated by Alaska Airlines to Portland.