Aeromexico’s international traffic grows 15%; #1 airport Mexico City grows by 9.5%; Amsterdam to join network in May
Aeromexico is the national airline of one Mexico. The airline’s largest hub is Mexico City, with a secondary hub at Monterrey. The SkyTeam member has over 60 aircraft in its fleet, with many of its new aircraft being 787-8s and 787-9s to help grow the airline’s international network. The carrier is currently the largest airline to operate from Mexico, with the carrier occupying 38% of overall one-way seat capacity from the nation based on OAG Schedules Analyser data for February 2016.
International traffic up 15%; 1.6 million additional passengers in 2015
During 2015, Aeromexico carried just over 18.7 million passengers on its international and domestic services. The carrier last year carried 1.6 million additional passengers when compared to 2014, of which 57% were on international flights. The international/domestic split has also changed during the 24 months being compared, with 67% of passengers in 2015 being domestic and the remaining 33% international. When comparing this to 2014, only 31% of passengers were on international services. Aeromexico’s international and domestic passenger traffic may have grown during the past 12 months, but what has not changed is the average load factor that remains at just under 80% (79.5%).
Mexico City remains dominant with 9.5% growth
After recording a growth in capacity of 9.5% in W15/16 when compared to W14/15, Mexico City remains the number one airport for Aeromexico in its home country and indeed its whole network. Of the SkyTeam member’s top 10 airports within Mexico, one is a new addition to the party. León Airport, situated in Guanajuato State, has become the tenth largest airport for Aeromexico operations in Mexico. This comes after the facility recorded an increase in seat capacity by the carrier of 7.9%. The airport which León has replaced in the top 10 is Villahermosa, an airport which has seen its Aeromexico seat capacity decrease by 43%.
In regards to the full Aeromexico network, this winter it serves a total of 85 airports, up five from W14/15 according to OAG Schedules Analyser data. The carrier’s main hub at Mexico City commands 42% of seat capacity, with the number one international airport, Los Angeles (sixth largest airport overall), commanding 2.2% of seats. The latest international route that Aeromexico launched was the 3,941-kilometre sector from its number one airport to Vancouver. The SkyTeam member currently serves the Canadian facility with a daily flight. The next big international route that will be launched by Aeromexico from Mexico City is Amsterdam, with the airline using its 787s on the 9,201-kilometre sector and operating alongside fellow SkyTeam carrier KLM.
Canada and Cuba markets nearly triple in size
After recording growth in capacity of just over/under 192% and 153% respectively, the markets of Canada and Cuba have climbed the market position table. In W14/15, Canada placed in eleventh while Cuba was situated in tenth. Canada’s growth stems from Aeromexico launching a daily service to Vancouver, while also increasing its presence at Toronto Pearson and Calgary airports. Cuba has seen growth due to the carrier doubling capacity on its route from Mexico City to Havana, while the Cuban capital has also seen an increase in flights to Cancún by Aeromexico. The reason that Brazil has seen a decrease in traffic is due to Aeromexico no longer operating services from its number one airport to Rio de Janeiro Galeao. This means that Sao Paulo Guarulhos is now the only airport in Brazil served by the SkyTeam member. Outside of the top 12, Aeromexico serves a further 10 country markets. Of those, the number one market to witness growth is China in 18th, which has seen its seat capacity grow by just over 44%. Other countries to report double-digit growth are the UK (14th: 40%); Ecuador (15th: 16%); Nicaragua (19th: 37%); and Venezuela (21st: 20%). As it did last year, the Mexican domestic market (grown 6.1% in the past 12 months) remains number one for Aeromexico, with the market holding 83% of the carrier’s overall seat capacity this W15/16, even with the larger growth in international traffic.