Shannon-Schiphol is Skyscanner “Unserved Route of the Week” with 30,000 searches in the last year; KLM’s first Irish destination??
With over 30,000 searches in the last year, a potential new route from Shannon to Amsterdam has been identified as this week’s Skyscanner for Business-anna.aero “Unserved Route of Week” – a powerful analysis based on aspirational data captured from the Skyscanner.net flight comparison site used by +50 million unique visitors per month.
anna.aero counsels KLM to consider this airport pair
Significantly most demand is at the Dutch end of this route ‒ a 69/31 split ‒ suggesting that the searches not all being made by Irish citizens looking at how to get home to Limerick, but also by Dutch nationals keen to experience the Wild Atlantic Way. This would make this city pair an obvious contender for KLM. Surprisingly given its network of 16 UK airports (following this week’s addition of services to Inverness), the airline does not operate in the Netherlands-Ireland market at all.
Yet if the SkyTeam carrier did serve this route it would be able to leverage hub connections at its main home, as well as this 30,000+ demand for point-to-point traffic and take advantage of the fact that the Irish airport is not served by hub-feeding flights from Lufthansa, Air France or Brussels Airlines. As an alternative, KLM’s in-house LCC, Transavia, could consider adding Shannon to its Irish services, augmenting its 11-times weekly operation from Paris Orly to Dublin
Looking at all Irish services, Aer Lingus presently provides over 7,000 (or 52% share) weekly seats from Ireland to the Netherlands, with Ryanair adding the other 48% with a further 6,500 seats. However, the IAG subsidiary does not offer any flights to the Netherlands from Shannon, with its two Dutch routes operating from Dublin and Cork to Amsterdam only. Ryanair has a similarly narrow focus to its Netherlands network, offering just four daily flights to Amsterdam, and a daily rotation to Eindhoven, both from Dublin.
Heathrow, Manchester lead transfer competition
When looking at the previous year of search data, the busiest month for potential traffic flows (for both directions on the route combined) is October 2015 with over 5,500 searches, more than 4,000 higher than the lowest monthly figure, which was recorded in April 2015 (1,500 seraches). The seasonality profile of this search data is significantly more extreme than last week’s Unserved Route of the Week (Bordeaux to Moscow), with the low-month traffic representing just 27% of the highest month. According to OAG Traffic Analyser, because there is no direct service, the top two connecting options chosen by those passengers who did book travel between Shannon to Amsterdam in the last 12 months were London Heathrow (95%) and Manchester trailing with 4%. In total, four different airports were used by connecting passengers as intermediate points between the two cities, but the vast majority of potential travellers from Shannon’s catchment will be considered as surface leakage, having no doubt elected to drive to either Dublin (190 kilometres) or Cork (90 kilometres) to catch a direct service.
An O&D that is not served by a non-stop flight will typically display a low purchase rate and low traffic. In this instance Skyscanner’s Travel Insight indicates a monthly average of just 1.3% for the Shannon to Amsterdam route (see graph below). Therefore, if there was a Shannon to Amsetrdam route, and if bookings performed in line with the “Skyscanner market average” for direct services at both airports (9.5%), the airline operating this route could immediately expect an improved purchase rate of a staggering 655% without any increased marketing spend. However, with more than 30,000 annual searches, the potential city pair should already be very sustainable.
About this anna.aero analysis and Skyscanner for Business data
“Unserved Route of the Week” is a cooperation between anna.aero and the B2B branch of the Skyscanner.net consumer flight comparison site and is a new kind of analysis harnessing an entirely new resource: the amazing power of the aspirational data captured from Skyscanner.net flight comparison site which has +50 million unique visitors per month.
“Skyscanner for Business” packages this amazing B2C data into a suite of business products which offer comprehensive data solutions – our specific need to identify unserved routes uses the Skyscanner Travel Insight product, a comprehensive, unique ‘big data’ set that can accurately predict future demand by telling you where 50 million real living-and-breathing travellers actually want to fly to. (And bear in mind that there are other significant search volumes that could also be added to the Skyscanner totals – from dedicated airline websites, competitive search engines etc, underlining the value of Skyscanner data as a conservative indicator of market route demand.)