Wizz Air makes Kiev its ninth destination from Billund
Wizz Air has expanded its route offering from Billund Airport with the launch of direct flights to Kiev Zhulyany, the most central airport serving the capital of Ukraine. The carrier launched flights between the two airports on 2 March, with the route scheduled to operate on Tuesdays and Saturdays and be flown using the carrier’s fleet of A320s. The new destination will generate an extra 28,000 passengers for the Billund market in 2019.
“It is great that Wizz Air has realised the potential of the Billund market as it launches its ninth route from the airport,” comments Jan Hessellund, CEO, Billund Airport. “This route not only opens a new and exciting city destination for the 2.3 million people that live in our catchment, but also an important business connection. Around 100 Danish companies have business relations in Ukraine, with energy and the environment being one of the biggest sectors in focus between the two nations. As we lie at the heart of one of the most energy focused parts of Europe, particularly looking at research and development in the field, this route will be popular for growing business ties between the two nations.”
Based on data from Statistics Denmark, over 13,000 Ukrainians live in Denmark, with more than half of this population living in Jutland, in which Billund Airport lies at the heart. “Along with business connections between our two nations, we are also the gateway to the largest VFR catchment for Ukrainians. With this route sure to prove popular with those wanting to travel more regularly to and from their home market, it shows the ever-growing importance that Billund Airport plays in connecting our catchment of over seven cities to new and more wide-spread destinations,” states Hesseullund.
Kiev Zhulyany becomes the ninth route that Wizz Air operates from Billund, joining the carrier’s existing services to Bucharest, Cluj-Napoca, Gdansk, Iasi, Tuzla, Vilnius, Vienna and Warsaw Chopin. The airline will further expand its operations from Billund later this year, as it plans to begin a twice-weekly service from Krakow starting 3 May, while it will also commence a twice-weekly operation from Timisoara from September, the airline’s fourth route to Romania from the airport, and a service which will open direct access to the city which will be a European Capital of Culture in 2021.
Billund Airport’s route developments for 2019 include:
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Kiev Zhulyany, 2 March 2019.
- Norwegian four times weekly service to Malaga, 1 April 2019;
- Ryanair four times weekly service to Manchester, 1 April 2019;
- Ryanair three times weekly service to Prague, 2 April 2019;
- Ryanair twice-weekly service to Edinburgh, 4 April 2019;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Krakow, 3 May 2019;
- Norwegian twice-weekly service to Palma de Mallorca, 6 May 2019;
- Norwegian weekly service to Ponta Delgada, 7 May 2019;
- Norwegian weekly service to Faro, 11 May 2019;
- DAT weekly service to Stord, 30 June 2019;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Timisoara, 3 September 2019.
- Lufthansa to introduce fifth daily service to Frankfurt, 31 March 2019;
- airBaltic to introduce a second daily frequency to Riga, 1 April 2019.
About PPS Publications and B2B Public Relations
PPS Publications, the owners of anna.aero, provide continuous B2B PR support in international transport media throughout the year. We plan, create and deliver communication strategies with our expertise in air transport and substantial creative/media resources. With PPS’ broad capabilities in media, our clients benefit from our full in-house editorial, creative, and e-commerce skills. As well as drawing from the knowledge of our highly experienced anna.aero analysts, our PR clients gain added exposure through our excellent relationships with editors and journalists working within the air transport sector worldwide. For more information on our services, follow this link.
For more information:
Jonathan Ford, Account Manager, Aviation Development PR
PPS Publications, Media & Events
(44) 1293 783851 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kerry Parks, Account Manager, Aviation Development PR
PPS Publications, Media & Events
(44) 1293 783851 or Kerry@pps-publications.com