From Budapest to China on a daily basis
Just six months after its inaugural service with Shanghai Airlines took off, Budapest Airport celebrates the addition of two further Chinese destinations on its route map. Following exceptional success at the Hungarian gateway, the subsidiary of China Eastern Airlines now operates daily to Shanghai with twice-weekly links to include services via Chengdu and Xian.
Offering 207,000 annual seats with Shanghai Airlines, the carrier records an extraordinary 230% jump from 2019. As Chengdu and Xian enter Budapest’s route map, the capital city airport will operate six non-stop links to the East Asian country this year. These services join Beijing (Air China), Chongqing (Hainan Airlines), Sanya (launching February with Sunday Airlines), and Shanghai.
“Our commitment and investment in our Chinese bonds is clear at times like this,” says Dr. Rolf Schnitzler, CEO, Budapest Airport. “With an 18% year-on-year growth in passengers between Budapest and China, Shanghai Airlines’ new connections play an important role in the positive partnership between the two countries,” adds Schnitzler.
Notes to editors
- Budapest Airport is the best airport in the Region, as recognised by Skytrax in six consecutive years from 2014 to 2019, based on passenger ratings. Budapest Airport has become the lead airport in terms of passenger growth and together with its airline partners is a key contributor to the development of tourism in Hungary and Budapest.
- Budapest Airport’s terminals are home to 54 airlines which transported 16.2 million passengers to 156 destinations in 53 countries in 2019 (8.8% growth rate in 2019 vs. 2018).
- Budapest Airport in 2019 handled 135.521 tons of cargo.
- Monthly passenger traffic growth December 2019 has exceeded +8%.
- Budapest Airport’s route development includes:
- Ryanair twice-weekly service to Kharkiv, 16 January 2020.
- Sunday Airlines weekly service to Sanya, 23 February 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Prague, 27 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines seven times weekly to Belgrade, 27 March 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Zaporizhia, 29 March 2020;
- Wizz Air daily service to Paris Orly, 29 March 2020;
- Ryanair twice-weekly service to Lviv, 29 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Brussels, 30 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Bucharest, 30 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Stuttgart, 30 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines seven times weekly to Sofia, 30 March 2020;
- American Airlines four times weekly service to Chicago O’Hare, 4 May 2020;
- Wizz Air daily service to Brussels, 1 June 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Kharkiv, 1 June 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Lviv, 3 June 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines weekly service to Dubrovnik, 7 June 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines weekly service to Varna, 7 June 2020.