Budapest Airport further expands Chinese connections
Budapest Airport marked the return of Hainan Airlines last week as Hungary’s gateway celebrated the launch of the Chinese carrier’s twice-weekly connection to Chongqing. Initially deploying its B789 fleet on the 7,458-kilometre sector last 27 December, the airline returns to the Hungarian market after an eight-year hiatus.
“Hainan Airlines’ return to Budapest further boosts the attraction and the importance of the Chinese market to Hungary, which is growing year-on-year. As we introduce another exciting destination for both business and leisure, our airline partner’s link to Chongqing will further increase trade and tourism between the two countries,” says Kam Jandu, CCO, Budapest Airport.
Notes to editors
- Budapest Airport is the best airport in the Region, as recognised by Skytrax in six consecutive years from 2014 to 2019, based on passenger ratings. Budapest Airport has become the lead airport in terms of passenger growth and together with its airline partners is a key contributor to the development of tourism in Hungary and Budapest.
- Budapest Airport’s terminals are home to 54 airlines which transported 16.2 million passengers to 156 destinations in 53 countries in 2019 (8.8% growth rate in 2019 vs. 2018).
- Budapest Airport in 2019 handled 135.521 tons of cargo.
- Monthly passenger traffic growth December 2019 has exceeded +8%.
- Budapest Airport’s route development includes:
- Ryanair twice-weekly service to Kharkiv, 16 January 2020.
- Sunday Airlines weekly service to Sanya, 23 February 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Prague, 27 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines seven times weekly to Belgrade, 27 March 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Zaporizhia, 29 March 2020;
- Wizz Air daily service to Paris Orly, 29 March 2020;
- Ryanair twice-weekly service to Lviv, 29 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Brussels, 30 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Bucharest, 30 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines 12 times weekly to Stuttgart, 30 March 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines seven times weekly to Sofia, 30 March 2020;
- American Airlines four times weekly service to Chicago O’Hare, 4 May 2020;
- Wizz Air daily service to Brussels, 1 June 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Kharkiv, 1 June 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Lviv, 3 June 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines weekly service to Dubrovnik, 7 June 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines weekly service to Varna, 7 June 2020.