Cornwall confirms continued LHR connection
In a major development, Cornwall Airport Newquay (CAN) has announced the continuation of its London Heathrow connection. Significantly it has secured the arrival of British Airways to its carrier rollcall. Working hard to ensure the Airport maintains non-stop access to Europe’s busiest hub, CAN confirms the UK flag carrier will operate a five-times-weekly service to Heathrow in S20.
“Safeguarding our link to the UK’s leading gateway has been our top priority following the recent change to our current Heathrow operation under a Public Service Obligation (PSO) agreement,” explains Amy Smith, Marketing and Business Performance Manager, Cornwall Airport Newquay. “British Airways has recognised the demand we continue to see for services to LHR and we’re absolutely ecstatic to confirm we can continue to offer this vital link. With such a major global carrier we will be able to offer our passengers one-stop access to the world, while worldwide investors and tourists will benefit from an easier connection to our stunning county,” adds Smith.
Maintaining this important market alongside the renewed PSO to London Gatwick will preserve the global access required by local businesses. “This really is a momentous time in the history of Cornwall Airport Newquay,” states Smith. “To have British Airways’ acknowledgement of the importance of such a service leaves me in no doubt that this underserved market will continue to grow. Essentially our region is more accessible to the world than it ever has been before.”
Almost 30% of CAN’s passenger traffic in 2019 travelled to London Heathrow, with an average 84% load factor on each flight. Seeing the UK’s largest gateway remain on its route network this summer means Cornwall Airport Newquay will provide more hub connections than ever before, as British Airways joins SAS’ service to Copenhagen, and Flybe’s link to Amsterdam (launching S20).
Notes for editors
- Cornwall Airport Newquay welcomed more than 456,678 passengers in 2019.
- Cornwall Airport Newquay offers year-round flights to: Alicante with Ryanair; London Gatwick, London Southend, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Leeds-Bradford and Manchester with Flybe; Dublin with Aer Lingus; and Isles of Scilly with Skybus. As well as offering direct connectivity to these key cities, the routes offer connectivity to destinations across the UK, Europe and worldwide.
Additional regional and international routes operate during the summer season, including:
- Flybe – Belfast City, Birmingham, Jersey and Guernsey
- Aer Lingus Regional – Cork;
- Eurowings – Düsseldorf and Stuttgart;
- Ryanair – Faro
- SAS – Copenhagen
Cornwall Airport Newquay’s recent route development
- Flybe six times weekly to Amsterdam, 29 March 2020;
- Loganair four times weekly (daily in peak summer) to Aberdeen, 1 April 2020;
- Loganair four times weekly (daily in peak summer) to Newcastle, 1 April 2020;
- Loganair four times weekly to Glasgow, 22 May 2020.