Luxair becomes Budapest Airport’s latest airline
Budapest Airport’s growth continues as the Hungarian capital announces yet another new airline for summer 2020.
Luxair, the flag carrier of Luxembourg, will begin a twice-weekly service from 10 August until 23 October. The carrier’s new offering more than proves the demand between the two cities, with growth between them increasing by 77% last year. This is based on strong business links, inbound tourism to Budapest, and to better serve the significant Hungarian communing traffic to Luxembourg.
Budapest’s capacity within the European region grew by more than 7% last year. Hungary’s capital added multiple new non-stop routes to Europe in the past year, including Cagliari, Cork, Lappeenranta, Nantes, Preveza, Rimini, Seville, and Toulouse, with new routes for this year including Dubrovnik, Santorini, Varna .
Commenting on Luxair’s announcement, Balázs Bogáts, Head of Airline Development, Budapest Airport, says: “Despite the pandemic situation it is promising to see that new airlines realise the opportunities here at Budapest and will become part of the journey to strengthen the market.” He added: “With yet another airline and route, as well as our wide range of measures to ensure the health and safety of our customers, we expect passenger volumes to continue to rise.”
- Budapest Airport is the best airport in the Region, as recognised by Skytrax in seven consecutive years from 2014 to 2020, based on passenger ratings. Budapest Airport has become the lead airport in terms of passenger growth and together with its airline partners is a key contributor to the development of tourism in Hungary and Budapest.
- Budapest Airport’s terminals are home to 54 airlines which transported 16.2 million passengers to 156 destinations in 53 countries in 2019 (8.8% growth rate in 2019 vs. 2018).
- Budapest Airport in 2019 handled 135.521 tons of cargo.
- Budapest Airport’s route development:
- Already launched:
- Wizz Air twice-weekly service to Abu Dhabi, 1 July 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines weekly service to Dubrovnik, 4 July 2020;
- LOT Polish Airlines weekly service to Varna, 4 July 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly to Santorini, 15 July 2020;
- Wizz Air twice-weekly to Menorca, 18 July 2020.
- To launch:
- Wizz Air twice-weekly to Mykonos, 1 August 2020.
- Luxair twice-weekly to Luxembourg 10 August 2020.